Skip to main content

"How do you do it all?"

Someone asked me, "How do you do all of this and have a young family?" I am used to hearing people say, "Do you ever sleep?" Yes, I sleep. In fact, I need at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Rest is important for me to function at full speed as well as for my recovering brain. It's a fair question. When I was a beginning teacher, I would arrive at school early in the morning and stay there until past dinner. Then, most nights I was doing work at home before bed. It would've been really difficult for me to be an excellent teacher if I were just now starting with littles at home (not to say that others who are just starting and have littles at home can't be excellent teachers, just that it would've been hard for ME). But due to that hard (and likely unhealthy) work back then, I have a lot of strategies in my teacher tool kit and many resources to pull from. I also spend an hour each day in the summer working on resources that will help me durin...

Be brave, not perfect.

This isn't the greatest Ted Talk ever made, but the message spoke to the teacher (and mom of a little girl) in me. This just became class rule number 4 for ALL students, not just girls. 

For those of you who don't know my first 3 rules:
1.  Make your teacher look good.
2.  Always do what's right, especially when no one else is looking.
3.  Give your teacher all York Peppermint Patties after trick or treating.

4.  NEW! Be brave, not perfect.
*They vary from year to year depending on the needs of the class and my favorite candy. Some classes have had more "rules."

Ted Talk: Teach Girls Bravery, Not Perfection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Still Have Firsts

Today is a day of firsts; first day back after the long Christmas break (we had a snow day yesterday), first day of my new blog, and first day with my new student teacher. I remember my days as a student teacher and how terrifying the first day was. In fact how terrifying every day was. Starting something new is scary and it takes courage to stand up in front of a group of 9 year olds and try to teach them day in and day out when you've never done it before. I tried tirelessly to create lessons that were engaging, fun, and exciting for my group of students. I wanted to be confident I wanted to teach them and see them grow. I was a disaster . In fact, I was so much of a disaster that my cooperating teacher encourage me to pursue another career field. She simply told me this is not for you (looking back, I understand why she thought that- I had ZERO classroom management and my 'out of the box', energetic lessons sometimes got out of control). Because she was a veteran teacher...

"How do you do it all?"

Someone asked me, "How do you do all of this and have a young family?" I am used to hearing people say, "Do you ever sleep?" Yes, I sleep. In fact, I need at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Rest is important for me to function at full speed as well as for my recovering brain. It's a fair question. When I was a beginning teacher, I would arrive at school early in the morning and stay there until past dinner. Then, most nights I was doing work at home before bed. It would've been really difficult for me to be an excellent teacher if I were just now starting with littles at home (not to say that others who are just starting and have littles at home can't be excellent teachers, just that it would've been hard for ME). But due to that hard (and likely unhealthy) work back then, I have a lot of strategies in my teacher tool kit and many resources to pull from. I also spend an hour each day in the summer working on resources that will help me durin...

Classroom Management

I am often told by other teachers how well behaved my class is and that I’m lucky to have gotten such a nice group of kids.  While it’s true that every year I am lucky to have that particular crew, it’s not by accident that they are so well behaved. Their behavior is a result of a lot of hard work and behind the scenes planning on my part.  In my earlier years of teaching, I used the more traditional methods such as green, yellow, and red cards, marble jar, tickets, classroom economy, even online tools. I’m finally at a point in my teaching where none of those ‘gimmicky’ and slightly time consuming methods are necessary for me.  The way I manage is not easy, takes constant work, but offers great rewards. Here is how I manage my class.  Develop relationships. HUGE. MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER. Begin the year with student surveys and getting to know you activities then use that information to find commonalities between you and your students.   Be positive....