Skip to main content

"How do you do it all?"

Someone asked me, "How do you do all of this and have a young family?" I am used to hearing people say, "Do you ever sleep?" Yes, I sleep. In fact, I need at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Rest is important for me to function at full speed as well as for my recovering brain. It's a fair question. When I was a beginning teacher, I would arrive at school early in the morning and stay there until past dinner. Then, most nights I was doing work at home before bed. It would've been really difficult for me to be an excellent teacher if I were just now starting with littles at home (not to say that others who are just starting and have littles at home can't be excellent teachers, just that it would've been hard for ME). But due to that hard (and likely unhealthy) work back then, I have a lot of strategies in my teacher tool kit and many resources to pull from. I also spend an hour each day in the summer working on resources that will help me durin

4 Simple Ways to Celebrate Diversity in your Classroom TODAY

Happy Black History Month!  

There are lots of really great resources out there to teach black history and celebrate with your students (check out a website I've started at the end of this post that you can share with your students).  Here is a list of 4 simple things you can change in your classroom today to celebrate.

1.Play music as students arrive to class or during a break.  Bonus if you can get up and sing along with your students!  My personal suggestions include: 
Stevie Wonder
The Temptations  
Smokey Robinson 
Diana Ross
Ben E. King
The Jackson 5 
Ray Charles

2. Look around your classroom walls.  Do your posters represent students from different cultures?  If not, replace a few.  I found these posters of Amanda Gorman on IG (and I wish I could remember who shared them so I could give credit, but my search is coming up empty).


3. Replace some of your read alouds. There are many good picture books and novels that include characters of different cultures.  Choose one of those instead of your usual read.  Students need to see themselves and others in books.  Two of my favorites are below.  Those Shoes always makes me teary because of the act of selflessness by the main character.  It's also great for teaching theme.  The Parker Inheritance is an exciting modern-day mystery that takes the reader through the Civil Rights Movement. 




4. Introduce a Black History Month fact of the day.  Check out this list.

It's important that teachers connect with their students and show they care about them.  We all know students learn best in an atmosphere of mutual respect and safety with the foundation of solid relationships.  I strongly suggest incorporating this list and other ways to celebrate diversity beyond the month of February.  I'd love to hear your ideas!  Please share them below in the comments.

As promised, here is the website I've been working on to allow students to learn independently about famous African Americans.  I could also see using this in reading as a comprehension piece, or in social studies.  




Happy teaching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Still Have Firsts

Today is a day of firsts; first day back after the long Christmas break (we had a snow day yesterday), first day of my new blog, and first day with my new student teacher. I remember my days as a student teacher and how terrifying the first day was. In fact how terrifying every day was. Starting something new is scary and it takes courage to stand up in front of a group of 9 year olds and try to teach them day in and day out when you've never done it before. I tried tirelessly to create lessons that were engaging, fun, and exciting for my group of students. I wanted to be confident I wanted to teach them and see them grow. I was a disaster . In fact, I was so much of a disaster that my cooperating teacher encourage me to pursue another career field. She simply told me this is not for you (looking back, I understand why she thought that- I had ZERO classroom management and my 'out of the box', energetic lessons sometimes got out of control). Because she was a veteran teacher

Getting Kids EXCITED About Reading: Book Clubs in My Classroom

It's been proven that those who read the most, read the best .  So, if you want students to get better at reading, they actually have to READ. 😀 Enter: book clubs. My students participate in a book club every Thursday during our reading block.  My goal for book club is simply to get students excited about reading.  By the end of the year, almost every student in my class tells me they like reading more now than they did before this year.  Book club is simply about enjoying a book.   Picture an adult book club.  Everyone is sitting around discussing the book they read.  What did they like?  What do they wonder?  There is no written assignment or accountability.  If you didn't read, you can still go to book club and listen to the conversation.  Sure, you may not have much to contribute, but no one is taking your work for a grade.  This is why book clubs are successful.  They are opportunities for people to gather and share their love of reading.  This is how book clubs r

How Virtual Learning Has Improved my Craft

100% virtual.  That's how this school year started for me and we are still there.  The foundation of the magic that happens here in room 25 is a strong relationship with my students.  I've struggled with how to create that in a totally distant classroom.  In a way, this virtual setting has helped me to improve my craft (silver lining!).  Here are 5 things I've done to engage, build relationships, and keep the fun in 4th grade. 1.  Yard signs and headbands.   Before school started, I visited every student's home to introduce myself.  I took my rubber mallet and hammered in yard signs and gave each child a Meucci's Crew headband.  Then I asked each child 4 questions.             What is your favorite food?             What is your favorite movie or tv show?            How are you feeling about school starting?            What do you like to do for fun?   While these four questions seem rather surface level, they allowed me a window into each child's personality.