Skip to main content

"How do you do it all?"

Someone asked me, "How do you do all of this and have a young family?" I am used to hearing people say, "Do you ever sleep?" Yes, I sleep. In fact, I need at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Rest is important for me to function at full speed as well as for my recovering brain. It's a fair question. When I was a beginning teacher, I would arrive at school early in the morning and stay there until past dinner. Then, most nights I was doing work at home before bed. It would've been really difficult for me to be an excellent teacher if I were just now starting with littles at home (not to say that others who are just starting and have littles at home can't be excellent teachers, just that it would've been hard for ME). But due to that hard (and likely unhealthy) work back then, I have a lot of strategies in my teacher tool kit and many resources to pull from. I also spend an hour each day in the summer working on resources that will help me durin

End of the Year Blues

Dear Parents/Guardians,
Your kids have almost made it through what might be the most difficult year of their little lives.  They have worked hard, made new friends, learned a lot, and grown in ways we might not have expected.  It's natural that the end of this year might bring on really big feelings for these (still) little kids.  

These feelings might present themselves in sadness and tears.  They might also show up as anger, hyperactivity, and/or potentially annoying behavior.  Feelings about all of this ending- their time in elementary school, with me, with their friends, etc. are a lot of feelings for children to try to control.  Also, some kids feel perfectly fine about the year ending and are thrilled to say goodbye.  It may hit them a week or so into summer, or maybe not at all.  All of this is okay.  Now is a good time to have a talk with them.  Wait until your child is quiet (bedtime is a great time for me to talk with Mario) and ask what they are excited about, how they are feeling about school ending, and let the conversation open.  Assure your child that it's totally normal to feel this way.  

In class, we talk about 'enjoying our strawberries', or trying to stay in the moment.  We are going to enjoy our last week together and know that the last day might be hard on some of us, but that's okay.  We will support each other because we have grown together as a family; as Meucci's Crew.  





No matter what, I assure these kids that 'once a Meucci kid, always a Meucci kid' and they can't get rid of me. HA!  

If you need me to be any bit of help through these feelings, you know how to get a hold of me.  I remember crying so hard after leaving my favorite teacher that the only way my mom could calm me was to call her so we could talk on the phone.  PLEASE call me if that will help.    

Have a great day.  Let me know if you need anything.

Sincerely,
K.D. Meucci

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Still Have Firsts

Today is a day of firsts; first day back after the long Christmas break (we had a snow day yesterday), first day of my new blog, and first day with my new student teacher. I remember my days as a student teacher and how terrifying the first day was. In fact how terrifying every day was. Starting something new is scary and it takes courage to stand up in front of a group of 9 year olds and try to teach them day in and day out when you've never done it before. I tried tirelessly to create lessons that were engaging, fun, and exciting for my group of students. I wanted to be confident I wanted to teach them and see them grow. I was a disaster . In fact, I was so much of a disaster that my cooperating teacher encourage me to pursue another career field. She simply told me this is not for you (looking back, I understand why she thought that- I had ZERO classroom management and my 'out of the box', energetic lessons sometimes got out of control). Because she was a veteran teacher

Getting Kids EXCITED About Reading: Book Clubs in My Classroom

It's been proven that those who read the most, read the best .  So, if you want students to get better at reading, they actually have to READ. 😀 Enter: book clubs. My students participate in a book club every Thursday during our reading block.  My goal for book club is simply to get students excited about reading.  By the end of the year, almost every student in my class tells me they like reading more now than they did before this year.  Book club is simply about enjoying a book.   Picture an adult book club.  Everyone is sitting around discussing the book they read.  What did they like?  What do they wonder?  There is no written assignment or accountability.  If you didn't read, you can still go to book club and listen to the conversation.  Sure, you may not have much to contribute, but no one is taking your work for a grade.  This is why book clubs are successful.  They are opportunities for people to gather and share their love of reading.  This is how book clubs r

How Virtual Learning Has Improved my Craft

100% virtual.  That's how this school year started for me and we are still there.  The foundation of the magic that happens here in room 25 is a strong relationship with my students.  I've struggled with how to create that in a totally distant classroom.  In a way, this virtual setting has helped me to improve my craft (silver lining!).  Here are 5 things I've done to engage, build relationships, and keep the fun in 4th grade. 1.  Yard signs and headbands.   Before school started, I visited every student's home to introduce myself.  I took my rubber mallet and hammered in yard signs and gave each child a Meucci's Crew headband.  Then I asked each child 4 questions.             What is your favorite food?             What is your favorite movie or tv show?            How are you feeling about school starting?            What do you like to do for fun?   While these four questions seem rather surface level, they allowed me a window into each child's personality.